The 14th Annual UWI Toronto Benefit Awards Honours Emmy Award Winning Actor Sheryl Lee Ralph
The University of the West Indies (UWI), top ranked among the world’s best universities, will host its 14th Annual UWI Toronto Benefit Awards on April 29th, 2023 at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel, 181 Wellington Street, Toronto at 5:30pm EST, bringing to life the all encompassing theme - Beyond Our Imagination.
Following the awards dinner ceremony will be The Air Canada Lyme - as this year will stand out from the rest when the prestigious university also celebrates its Diamond Jubilee - 75th anniversary - under the theme, Rooted-Ready-Rising, a global celebration of its history and legacy within the Caribbean Region.
“We look forward to a spectacular night at the UWI Toronto Benefit Awards, a great tradition of raising much-needed funds for Caribbean students, whilst celebrating outstanding community and global leaders, examples that we hope the students will emulate,” said Dr. Donette Chin-Loy Chang, UWI Toronto Benefit Awards Co-Patron. “Under the 2023 theme – Beyond Our Imagination, you will see the full arc of dreams imagined and dreams realized – both for students, our honourees and our valued donors.”
The UWI Toronto Benefit Awards is a must-attend event on the Toronto social calendar that brings together corporate, public and individual supporters for an inspiring evening of giving, sharing and celebrating.
The 2023 Awards boasts an impressive list of diverse honourees who will be in attendance:
● Luminary Award: The Honourable Sheryl Lee Ralph, OJ - Emmy Award winning actor
● G. Raymond Chang Award: Dr. Dodridge Miller - Group President and Chief Executive Officer, Sagicor Financial Company Ltd.
● Chancellor’s Award: Black North Initiative (BNI) - A social justice initiative designed to remove anti-Black systemic barriers negatively affecting the lives of Black Canadians.
● Vice Chancellor’s Award: Mr. Kevin Hibbert - Chief Financial Officer, Senior Managing Partner & Co-Head of Enterprise Shared Services Group, Sprott Inc.
● Vice Chancellor’s Award: Mr. Ray Williams - Vice Chairman & Managing Director - Financial Markets at National Bank Financial
“The event supports a scholarship fund for outstanding academic achievers in the Caribbean, who lack the funds necessary to realize their fullest potential. It also recognizes greatness and tireless work through our honourees...who continue to shine a light of hope for the next generation,” explained Mrs. Elizabeth Buchanan-Hinds, Executive Director of the University’s Institutional Advancement Division.
Co-Patrons of the UWI Toronto Benefit Awards are Dr. Donette Chin-Loy Chang, Mr. Andrew Chang, Ms. Brigette Chang and Dr. Wesley J. Hall (Wes). The event is once again proudly supported by Scotiabank for the 14th consecutive year. The UWI Toronto Benefit Awards has raised $3 million and awarded 800 scholarships. Lead Chair: Scotiabank; Lead Sponsors: Sprott Inc., Kingsdale and The G. Raymond Chang Foundation.